Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mercy Mocha


Don’t you like how you always decide to start to eat healthier and give up soda just AFTER eating a 2 cheeseburger meal with an XLARGE Dr Pepper? Yeah, that decision lasts until the sugar/fat buzz wears off. Fast food sucks me in. It’s fast, and it’s food. Two of my favorite things. It’s “I’m lazy” food. It’s “I don’t even have to get out of my car” food. If there weren’t drive-throughs I wouldn’t eat it as much. Why? I’m lazy. I’m not about to tote Remy into a Taco Bell, that would require too much muscle. My window was broken awhile back, and I did go into a Taco Bell during my lunch hour just to get a free large drink with a coupon. They looked at me as if I were insane. When I was in college Allie and I went to Target to get something to cook for dinner. I said "I don't want anything here." She looked at me and said, "Heather, they have EVERY FOOD." Ha ha. What I really meant, is I wanted something greasy and fried that I didn't have to cook. So, I’ve learned how to eat healthier and to stop drinking soda. Willpower, you ask? Willpower Schmilpower. I just use my laziness to my advantage. First of all, don’t carry cash. Easy. Second, don’t have sweets or candy in the house. I accomplish this by doing my grocery shopping when I’m full. If I have a dozen chocolate chip cookies in the house, I will eat them in 2 days. If I have 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies in the house, I will eat them in 2 days. You get the idea. My other obstacle, Mercy Mocha. Mercy Mocha is the little coffee shop right NEXT to my office. It’s filled with sugary coffee treats, soda and muffin deliciousness. Yes, there’s healthy options like hard boiled eggs, yogurt and organic granola…but that’s hard to pick when it’s sitting next to the pop-tarts. And, my no cash policy doesn’t work because guess what? They take payroll deduct. That’s right…I’m just one badge swipe away from a Milky Way Mocha or a bag of cheetos. So, this does require a little willpower. But, if I can make it until 1:30 pm, then I’m good. Mercy Mocha closes at 1:30 (see sign). If they were open until 3:00, I’d be in trouble. Once 3 pm hits, I want something salty, and then I want something sweet and fizzy. Why do I love this caramel colored fizzy sugar water so much? I’ve gone long stretches of time with no soda, hoping I’ll outgrow my likeness for it. But, once I give in and have one, all I can say is “Ah, I missed you.” I am getting better, but I’m not there yet. I’m still mourning the loss of my crappy food. But, I do feel so much better when I eat my veggies and drink my agua. Someday I’ll be one of these people who say they’d rather have carrot sticks than French fries. Someday.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be in BIG trouble if there was a coffee shop next to my office. I make do with office coffee, a splash of creamer and some Equal. And, hey, if you ever get to the point where you'd prefer carrot sticks to French fries you're going to have to share your secrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the vending machines in my teacher's lounge took debit cards, I would weigh 300 pounds. :) I'm proud of you! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete