I cried twice today. Once while I was doing laundry, and once after I ate a no-bake cookie.
When I was doing my laundry I came across a white shirt. It was my Grandma's. I complimented her on it once and she gave it to me.
When I was little my Grandparents came and took care of us while my mom was sick and in the hospital. My Grandma made no-bake cookies. I was eating one and getting crumbs all over the floor, so she took my cookie and told me how to eat it properly. She put her entire mouth on my cookie to take a bite without making crumbs then gave it back to me. I looked at it and realized it was all covered in Grandma' s spit. I nonchalantly threw it away and got another one. It makes me laugh every time I think of it.
The reason it makes me cry is my grandma is sick. She has a brain tumor that will eventually take her life, and probably soon. This makes me sad.
I've never known my grandma to be sick before cancer. In fact, she was always the pillar of health. She was up early and worked all day until she went to bed. We used to joke that she wore shorter shorts that my sister and I did. She was such a young, active, sarcastic, vibrant grandma. I love her so.
The thing I will miss the most is knowing that Grandma is praying for me everyday. But, I guess having her with Jesus just might be even better. Grandma is a humble and faithful prayer warrior. She knows Jesus.
When I think of Grandma, I think of comfort. When I am sad, I think about being at my grandparents house. The sweet memories of swimming in their pool, playing in the snow, sleeping in their pretty guest room, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, watching Disney movies, dressing in her clothes, her singing us to sleep with"Froggy Went A'Courtin." So many memories, all wonderful and good. When I think of my Grandma, I think of my many blessings.
When I think of Grandma, I think of love. Mainly the love between her and my Grandpa. My Grandpa is taking such good care of her. He loves her so much he cut off her pajamas in the middle of the night because she was hot and he couldn't get them off fast enough. He loves her so much he turned their hall bathroom into a shower when she could no longer get in their tub. When the door was too narrow to get her wheelchair in, he took a chainsaw and made the door wider. He does what needs to be done. He'll go around the world a million times for her.
I don't know how much time Grandma will have left on this earth, but I know she has lived a wonderful life. She was influential in so many peoples lives, including mine. Because I knew her, I have been changed for good.
No comments:
Post a Comment